Don’t do Social Media Marketing, IF-
1) If you can not keep up with the changing ‘TREND(S)’ in social media and its various platforms. Before 3-4 years, companies didn’t care much about their LinkedIn pages, and after that with increasing popularity of LinkedIn, every company started building up its page on LinkedIn and is actively involved since then. Same applies for Pinterest, ……………Well, Do I need to say anything about popularity of Pinterest?! (If you don’t know what I am talking about, you might wanna reconsider your social media strategy/efforts again!).
It’s not only about adopting new trends; SMM efforts should also keep the pace up with the changes (new features, changed appearances etc.) in existing Social Media. For ex.- Facebook’s new Timeline. Your company’s page should have already modified its page as per the new Facebook’s Timeline features before reading this article!
2) If you don’t know what do you want to ‘ACCOMPLISH’ through your Social Media Marketing?! In other words, if you don’t know what is the ultimate goal of your Social Media Marketing! Having clear understanding of your ultimate goal of SMM campaign; whether it’s to increase Brand awareness or Introduction of new product/services or something else helps you to not get lost on different social media platforms! Blindly following SMM won’t serve any purpose.
3) If you can not continuously provide one strong ‘REASON’ to
Engage Entertain the visitors/customers on your Facebook/G+/LinkedIn/Twitter and other social media pages. There are pretty good chances that ones people like your company’s pages on Facebook, G+, LinkedIn etc. They may never come back again to check it out UNLESS you provide them one strong reason to visit the page! It could be anything like – games, contests, apps, challenges, quizzes etc. And, it doesn’t necessarily have to be related to your business (but if it is, nothing could be better than that!). Main focus should be that your target audience visits your company’s social media pages quite often through that reason and because of that; you can keep the communication alive with the visitors.
4) If you don’t have ‘RESOURCE(S)’ (Like- SEO, social media managers, executives, Dept.). It’s not like you should have all of them but you should have at least some of them to devote to your social media strategy and if you are START UP or SMALL level business, you should have at least a single person devoting sufficient time to SMM activities. Message is; you should not treat your social media marketing as a side activity!
5) If you Can not devote enough time to ‘RESPOND‘to fans/customer‘s comments/ queries on different social media platforms in ‘timely manner’. A criticizing comment(s), if hangs there for some days before you respond/solve the query, can hurt your company’s reputation!
*Response should be in professional manner, whether it is for query or complaint!
‘TARRR’ (TREND, ACHIEVE, REASON, RESOURCE, RESPOND) are crucial factors for any social media campaign to succeed! Needless to say, Success of any social media campaign depends on many other factors.
MORAL of the article is- Social Media Marketing, if done wrongly, can hurt the company as much as it can benefit!
“Social Media Marketing” if aim and execute correctly, will result in forms of Brand Recognition, ROI, customer Database, etc. BUT, in case of improper aiming and execution, it will not only end up missing the target but it can also lead to ‘ruined online image‘!
What do you think, are some other crucial factors for success of a ‘Social Media Marketing’ apart from ’TARRR’?!